Cover's Paradise

Thursday, May 18, 2006

Dylan Covers - Vol. One



Sophie Zelmani - Most Of The Time - Buy

Magnet & Gemma Hayes - Lay Lady Lay - Video - Buy


As I already mentioned in my last post, there are tons and tons (and tons) of cover versions of Bob Dylan songs and quite a few internet pages dedicated to list all (or at least some) of them. Of course (like mostly in the Dylan internet world) some of this pages have quite suitable names, which are either quotes from or the title of a Dylan song or album.
It would go too far to state that I know a huge part of the versions on this pages or that I'm a collector of Dylan covers. However, I know quite a few and decided to share some of my favourites with you from time to time.
As always, any feedback is highly appreciated. If you have suggestions for future posts in this series or want to point my attention at some specific cover version, just leave a comment or drop me a line since it's always a pleasure to hear from you!

Let's start things off with a female cover version. It's taken from the soundtrack of Masked And Anonymous (a 2003 movie starring Bob Dylan alongside names such as Jeff Bridges, Penélope Cruz, John Goodman or Jessica Lange) and it's a very relaxed version of Most Of The Time.
By the way, Dylan's original version (released on the 1989 Lanois-produced Oh Mercy album) had also been used for a movie soundtrack.

The second song today comes from the British band Magnet featuring vocals by Gemma Hayes. It's a cool version of Dylan's Lay Lady Lay and to be honest I didn't know about this one until I found it on Liza's copy, right?-blog a few days ago (thanks for that!). And in my opinion it goes along just fine with the Zelmani track.

further research:
Dylan Cover Albums
It Ain’t Me, Babe
Everything They Could Steal - Greatest Dylan Covers
Rolling Stone Rare Trax 45

Sophie Zelmani
Magnet
Gemma Hayes

Still to come: Dylan Covers - Vol. Two featuring a great British band from the late 60s, early 70s. Any guesses can be posted in the comments section.

Have a nice day and enjoy the music!

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home